50 Years of Philately
The Liberian Philatelic Society was founded in 1955 by Prof. H. H. Bartlett but didn't become really active until Col. Henry R. Rogers became president following Prof. Bartlett's death.
Rogers grew the society to nearly 150 members and began publishing the first LPS newsletter. This first newsletter was edited by O. E. Lynch until 1973 when Stanley DeShay took over as editor. This original newsletter published over 80 editions.
Journal of the Liberian Philatelic Society
DeShay shifted the format of the newsletter to a small format journal in 1978 but it was Roy P. Mackal and Henry Chlanda who began publishing the Journal as it is seen today. Their Journal of the Liberian Philatelic Society became the top publication for philatelists interested in Liberia.
Current LPS member, Edgar Hicks, is working with Mackal and Chlanda to make the Journal accessible to more people by providing LPS members with access to the complete catalogue online.